Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The question of the week

This is my last week at work before I am off for a year of maternity leave.  That also means that this is my last week of working at my job in Banff as I will be applying for a position in Calgary once my maternity leave is over.  Everyone keeps asking "Are you ready to be done"?  To be really honest, I don't know that I am ready.  Despite the heartburn, I actually feel pretty darn good these days. I don't physically feel very uncomfortable (certainly not more so than I have in the past) and while I am slightly more tired, it isn't overwhelming. I don't feel particularly huge and my mind isn't completely preoccupied with thoughts of the baby.  It does help that work has been pretty quiet this month and I haven't had any problems finishing up my various tasks.  I haven't been run off my feet and I've had lots of opportunity to sit and rest (plus take the occasional lunch hour nap on the couch in the nurses' lounge - it's SO comfy!).  The thing is, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to love being a mother but I really really love being a social worker and I'm very sad to be leaving this position.  I know that moving to Calgary was the right thing for us to do, financially and otherwise, but at this point (when the baby isn't actually here yet), it's really hard to imagine how life will be without this job.  I know that I put a lot of my identity into what I do - being a social worker is a large part of what defines me as a person - and my work ethic is just another part of that.  I've been working since I was 15 years old and at many times in my life, I've had to work two or three jobs to make ends meet.  The idea of not working so that I can stay home to care for another person is totally foreign to me and I'm having mixed feelings about it.  

No comments: