Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Are you getting excited?"

People ask me this question about a dozen times a day (such are the joys of working in an office with hundreds of employees!).  I never really know how to answer because, to be honest, I just don't feel all that "excited" about the baby. Please don't get me wrong, I am thrilled about becoming a mother because I've wanted to have a child for a long time and I think that Scott and I are embarking on a fantastic journey.  Rather, I think that I am really struggling to wrap my head around the idea of having a baby.  It seems like such a foreign concept to me and I just feel overwhelmed by the prospect. Not in a bad way (if that makes any sense), just in the way that it's so much for me to ponder and therefore, I just don't think about it that much.  Also, my head is still in the 'need to get my house unpacked and finish up everything at work' stage and there doesn't seem to be much mental space for the 'oh my god, we are having a baby in four weeks - am I ready to be a mother?' stage.  I'm just assuming that we will figure it all out as we go along.  

No comments: