Sunday, April 12, 2009

Public vs private

I started this blog to keep far-flung family and friends updated on my pregnancy.  I knew that I was posting it to a public domain but I never imagined that it would go any further than that.  I didn't think that anyone would ever stumble upon the blog because it seemed hard to find it without having the actual blog name.  Well, you can imagine my shock and surprise when I was contacted last month by a reporter looking to speak to me about my thoughts on the Banff hospital obstetrics closure!  I couldn't figure out where she had gotten my contact info from and I was totally weirded out by her email. However, apparently my blog comes up when you do a Google search about the hospital closure.  I have now been contacted on three separate occasions by reporters looking to speak to me about the closure but I have declined to be interviewed on each occasion.  I have told them that I could not speak publicly about this issue and while I see the irony of making this statement (given that they got my contact info from a public blog) I still don't want to be quoted in the newspaper.  I feel that my pregnancy and thoughts on the hospital closure are private and not for the masses to read.  There are many things that I don't post about on this blog, because I feel that they are not appropriate for a public space and because I feel that I don't need to share every little detail of my pregnancy (I also want the human race to continue on and I think that women would stop getting pregnant if they actually knew all the horrifying details of pregnancy!).  Some things need to stay private, even if you have a public blog.  

No comments: