Sunday, February 8, 2009

Is it us or is it them?

A number of my girlfriends in Canmore had babies over the past couple of years.  I found myself getting frustrated because they only talked about their kids and usually weren't available to do anything "fun".  They mostly just spent time with other moms and/or their kids and hubbies. Now that Scott and I are pregnant, I find that things are starting to change within our other group of friends.  Things had already changed significantly over the past few years with some of the guys getting girlfriends (I was the only girl around for miles for many years!) with even a few guys getting married. We are the first ones out of this group of friends to have a baby and I feel that we are starting to drift apart.  I can't help but want to talk about the baby and all things baby-related but I know that this can be annoying.  As I have said before, having a child occupies the majority of my mental space and I feel very drawn towards just staying home and hanging out with Scott.  I know that this need is only going to increase once our child is actually born.  I know that we signed up for this change in our life and I'm really excited about this next stage but I find myself grieving the loss of the stage we were just in.  I have no interest in continuing to live a child-free life (even if my 20's were really really fun!) but I do feel a bit sad to be leaving that time of my life behind.  

No comments: