Sunday, February 15, 2009

Good intentions

Before I got pregnant, I was pretty darn active.  I was downhill mountain biking 2-4 times per week and was attending 2 bootcamp classes per week.  I felt like I was in decent shape and was happy with my fitness level.  When I got pregnant, I vowed that I wouldn't become one of those lazy pregnant women. Then, the reality of the first trimester set in.  I was so tired that I had two naps at work and a nap as soon as I got home from work.  I was so tired that I couldn't make dinner or get off the couch (unless you count getting off the couch to go upstairs to bed but I don't think that counts).  There wasn't a chance that I could have done any exercise and I quickly fell out of the habit. I've tried to get back into working out at various points in my pregnancy but I've lost all my exercise buddies (I do best when I have someone to work out with).  The other challenge is that I find most activities to be quite uncomfortable.  Exercise causes cramps (also known as Braxton-hicks but i'm in denial about using that word because it implies contractions and I'm scared of labour...) and side stitches.  Scott has been very patient and is happy to come along with me on slow and steady walks.  He knows that we have to stop often in order to wait with me while the cramps go away.  Swimming feels pretty good but my belly is very heavy and it makes my legs sink.  Even doing daily activities (like walking up the stairs in our house) causes me to be short of breath.  I don't have much ab strength left so I'm challenged to get out of bed or off the couch.  

It's going to be quite a road back to getting in shape and I've already made plans around that. We already have a jogging stroller and I plan to return to running as soon as I feel ready after the baby is born.  Outdoor bootcamp will be happening in the summer and I hope to attend those classes on a weekly basis.  Depending on when the baby arrives (and how labour goes), I hope to get back on my bike by June.  I know that it will be more challenging to exercise with a newborn but here's hoping!

No comments: