Wednesday, February 25, 2009

29 week doctor's visit

I saw my doctor yesterday for my monthly check-up.  I had been looking forward to this visit because I wanted her to show me where the baby was sitting.  She said that the baby was lying with his/her back on the left side of my belly with the head down and the bum up near my ribs. She was very happy with this positioning as she said that it is the optimal position for delivery. However, the baby can move at anytime and it is quite likely that s/he will flip back and forth in my belly.  She showed me how to feel for the head, the back, and the bum - I certainly could feel the back and the bum but I'm not so sure that I could feel the head.  I showed Scott last night - it was neat to be able to better know what was happening in my belly.  

The doctor was pleased with the progression of my pregnancy and had no concerns about anything. She warned me that the office visits will start to increase and told me that we would soon start talking about labour and delivery (eek!).  One really frustrating development with the Banff hospital - it sounds like they may cancel labour and delivery services, effective March 1st. This means that I would need to deliver in Canmore or Calgary.  The hospital states that this is because of a lack of labour and delivery nurses but is only a temporary situation.  There was an emergency meeting yesterday about the situation but I'm not sure of the outcome.  I can only hope that it will be resolved by May.  It would be fine to deliver in Canmore but I had chosen Banff for a number of reasons and I'm pretty disappointed to have to change hospitals. However, I remain hopeful that things will work out in my favour.  

No comments: