Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Funny nightmares

While I haven't really had any dreams about having a baby (well, there was a couple of those types of dreams but they were very vague and totally non-gender specific), I do feel like I'm dreaming way more than normal.  My maternity book says that pregnancy doesn't actually bring about more dreaming, it's just that you wake up more often (say, when you have to shift your huge belly over to the other side of your body...) and are better able to remember the dreams.  Last night, I had the funniest nightmare ever!  I've had the previous 3 1/2 days days off work due to the Family Day holiday - a fact that played a big role in my dream.  I dreamt that I had come back to work today and the staff that I share my office with had totally rearranged everything - moved all my books, put the phone on the "wrong" side of the desk, got rid of the desk, mixed up all my resources etc. etc. etc.  I completely lost it in the dream, only to be told "well, you are going on mat leave soon so we figured that we would just switch things around now".  I was laughing at myself in the dream both because I was being such a spaz to the person who moved my office around and because I realized the true extent of my OCD when it comes to the organization of my office.  I am not a neat person (as anyone who has been to my house can attest) but I am obsessed with having my office 'just so'.  I guess that I'm working through these issues and the thought of leaving work for a year.  I know that I will fall madly in love with my child but I do wonder what it will be like to be off work.  I very much define myself as a social worker and I receive a great deal of fulfillment from helping people and striving to be good at my job.  It's weird to think that this will change but I can see that it could be possible that work will become less important in my life once I become a mother.  

No comments: