Saturday, February 21, 2009

The big question

People are always asking me all sorts of questions about being pregnant and becoming a mother. What are you having?  How are you feeling?  Are you scared?  Are you excited?  Are you ready?

While all these questions are important, the biggest question (at least in my mind!) is whether or not I'll be able to ride this summer.  Mountain biking has become a huge part of my life and I'm keen to get back out riding.  It will partly depend on when the baby is born - if s/he comes early, it will be easier to get out.  If s/he comes late, I might not get out until late June, early July. Regardless, it is going to be challenging (having a newborn and trying to get out of the house will be the least of my challenges) given how out of shape I am now compared to last winter.  

We do plan to go on a couple of week-long mountain biking holidays this summer.  I may not be able to ride much but I certainly plan to come along for the trips.  I've had a few people who have laughed at my plans to return to riding so early and to go on a road trip with a baby - I might be crazy and I might totally have to change our plans but I am determined to continue to be able to do the things in my life that are really important to me, even when I am a mother.  

2 comments:

Cheryle Battrum said...

Mountain biking ASAP? I say go for it - it's your passion! I'm not a parent, so I can't speak from experience... but I would think that while yes, children definitely change your life, having them shouldn't STOP your life. Enjoy!!

Rebecca said...

I couldn't agree more Cheryle!

p.s. Thanks for all your nice blog comments :)