Friday, October 17, 2008

Secrets

I've always been a fairly private person (one of my friends in high school used to call me secretive) but I have become more open as I have gotten older (hence my willingness to create this blog).  Still, I am much more comfortable listening to others share things about themselves than I am speaking about myself. When you become pregnant, there are lots of decisions to be made about who to tell and when to tell them.  (Scott told two people the first day that we found out, before we had even had a conversation about who/when we were going to tell!)  

We did end up sharing our news quite quickly with the people that we are closest to and we've slowly been letting others in on our secret.  I guess that I still feel protective of the information because recently I found out that a couple of people were speaking of our pregnancy to people who didn't yet know that we were having a baby.  It was quite a surprise to hear that our news was spreading to people that we hadn't yet intended to tell.  I can certainly appreciate that people are excited about this pregnancy but it feels a bit like sharing the news to some of our friends was taken away from me.  

I guess that I can take a few lessons from this experience - Be more careful about who I share information with, be more specific about what those people should do with the information that I have given them, and be more mindful of what I speak about when others share their secrets with me.  

No comments: