Monday, October 6, 2008

Doctor or midwife?

Every since I was a young girl, I've always thought that I would use a midwife.  I didn't like the idea of medicine invading a normal process that women have been going through for many years and I thought that midwives would spend more time with the mom-to-be, both before, during, and after delivery.  I've now worked at a hospital for the past 2 1/2 years and I'm just not so sure if I think that having a doctor is such a bad idea.  Most of my friends have had complications with their deliveries and the worrier in me is somewhat nervous about having something go wrong with my delivery.  Plus, midwives aren't covered in Alberta and cost $3500 (which is a whole lot of money!).  That being said, part of me is still really drawn to getting a midwife.  I guess that I need to make a decision soon...

1 comment:

Katie Rose Brand said...

I, too, really like the idea of having a midwife. I think that creating as much calm, peace and naturalness around the delivery is ideal.

Perhaps we could all chip in to help cover your costs if you did decide to go that way.

Also, have you thought at all about a water birth? They sound really relaxing and good for the pain of contractions.