Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's a good thing that I have lots of clothes

Fortunetly (well, really it is kind of unfortunate), I have a lot of clothes.  This is partly because I love shopping and like dressing up.  This is also partly because I have been many sizes during my adult life.  Most recently, I had lost 20 pounds and had put away all the clothes that were too big. Well, I had to dig out some of those pants this morning because my other pants just aren't working any more.  Shirts aren't so bad (yet) although the ever-expanding size of my chest means that the shirts aren't quite as long as they used to be.  Anyways, I'm happy this morning because I don't look like I'm trying to hide my mini 'baby bump'.  

I know that my preoccupation with gaining weight and not fitting into my clothes may sound vain but this is a pretty big mindshift.  I've always been aware of my size and I've worked hard to lose weight because I don't like being heavier.  I am worried that I will gain tons of weight during this pregnancy and will have a hard time losing it.  I imagine that many other women feel this way so I know that it's probably not just me but I don't know how many women talk about it.  There has always been a lot of focus in our society on women and the size of their bodies and this has had a big impact on me over the years.  Now, there is a huge focus on pregnant celebrities and how much weight they gain and how quickly they lose it.  I wish that I didn't get so caught up in the media's portrayal women, but the reality is, I do.  

No comments: