Monday, June 15, 2009

Oh yes we (I) can!

A lot of people told us about how much our life was going to change after Lily was born. Scott was constantly being told that his life (as he knew it) was over and I've heard repeated horror stories about never getting out of the house or having any time to do anything that I used to enjoy doing. Well, he and I can both be quite stubborn and we took this comments almost as a challenge! This weekend (when Lily was four weeks old), we took her on her camping trip - two nights in Golden, in a tent - with our biking friends. I also managed to get back on my mountain bike and did one run at Kickinghorse Mountain Resort and four runs on Mt. 7. Granted, Lily is a decently well-behaved baby (ie she doesn't scream all day and sleeps pretty good at night) and I can totally appreciate that it wouldn't work for everyone to get out for a weekend camping trip when their baby is four weeks old but I feel pretty proud of Scott and I for making it work. It did take hours for us to get ready to leave on Friday (I think that we ended up leaving for Golden at 4pm...) and it was much more effort than usual to manage the camping trip but it wasn't horrible and it was totally worth the effort! We had a great time with our friends and I felt so happy to get back on my mountain bike. As much as I love my daughter, I do want to keep doing the things that I loved to do before I had a baby and I'm pretty darn pleased that our first attempt at said previous loves worked out. Moral of the story, life doesn't end when you have a baby - it's just harder to get out of the house at a reasonable time! Oh yeah, and driving anywhere takes way longer than it used to when you have to stop to feed your baby and/or soothe her because she is crying hysterically in her car seat...

No comments: