Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A little reassurance goes a long way

I met with my doctor last week for the first time since the decision was made to close the Banff hospital to obstetrics. It was my first opportunity to speak to her about how things were going with deliveries at the Canmore hospital and to find out about likelihood of being sent to Calgary. Jane (my doctor - I know her from work so I always call her by her first name) was very good at reassuring me that Canmore is bending over backwards to accommodate all the extra deliveries and are working very hard to ensure that no-one needs to be sent to Calgary. Jane told me that she herself will be around to deliver my baby, not some doctor that I don't know and don't trust. We discussed my imminent move to Calgary but she wasn't at all concerned about that interfering with our delivery plans. I felt much better after meeting with her and feel confident that (as long as there are no complications) I will be able to deliver with Jane, in Canmore, in the manner that I had planned. I'm still disappointed about the fact that we can't deliver in Banff with the nurses that I know and trust but I have been able to come to terms with that.

No comments: