Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Our birth plan

We actually don't have one.  I've seen people bring them into the hospital and they are always placed on the patient's hospital chart but I don't actually know how often they get referred to. Regardless of that, I refuse to have a really specific idea of how my labour and delivery is going to go.  I have some thoughts about things that I want (the ability to move around and labour in different positions) and don't want (tons of medical interventions) but I am open to the idea that things could easily go sideways and/or differently than I expect.  My preference would be to have a natural delivery but I'm totally ok with having an epidural, if it comes to that.  I've heard so many ideas about what to do during delivery - some people are completely anti-epidural and some people are totally pro-epidural.  When we were thinking of using a mid-wife/having a home birth, I heard all sorts of opinions about the pros/cons of that.  I feel really comfortable with my decision to use the doctor that I have chosen - she firmly believes in natural childbirth and is very open to "alternative" delivery styles (kind of ironic considering that lying on your back to deliver your baby has totally become the norm as of late but is not even close to the way that women have been delivering babies for hundreds of years). I'm not going to pressure myself to behave a certain way in labour - I just plan to hope for the best and to use Scott and our doctor for the support that I need to get through the birthing process.  

No comments: