Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A reprive from motherhood

I went back to work in Banff last night. Granted, it wasn't to my usual job but it was to a job that I'm pretty familiar with (doing mental health assessments on a walk-in/emergency basis). EI has changed the rules and you are now allowed to earn $179/week which is a very nice addition to the $1600/month that you receive when you are on EI. I was a little nervous about going back - would I still remember how to do my job? Would I remember the names of the nurses in Emerg? Would it be ok to leave Lily? I've been away from Lily on a few occasions, the longest being the 10 hours that my mom watched her for when Scott and I went mountain biking. I'm away from her for a few hours at a time every weekend when we are biking and I've gone out on a couple of occasions without her. It was easy for us to arrange for Scott to watch her and I truly had no qualms about this. In fact, I think that it's a really nice opportunity for them to hang out together as Scott doesn't get to see her during the day and I know that he really misses her. Did I think about her when I was at work? Yes, I certainly did. Did I miss her? If I'm being honest, the answer is no. I knew that she was happy and well cared for by her dad and I enjoyed the break from full-time mothering. Was I happy to be back at work? Absolutely! I really enjoy being a social worker and I've missed it. I think that I'm good at my job and I truly love it. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel when I have to return to work on a full-time basis and Lily is placed in the care of someone else other than Scott but for now, I'm going to enjoy this opportunity to have my cake and eat it too.

No comments: