Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm just not that kind of Mom

When I was pregnant, I often wondered what type of parent I would be. Would I be overprotective (which was my first guess) or would I be laid-back (like Scott)? Turns out, I'm pretty low-key when it comes to Lily. I don't make people wash their hands before they hold Lily, I don't care if kids touch her when they see her, I don't carry an Epi-pen in case of bee stings, I don't pay attention to how my food intake affects her mood and I'm not concerned about her getting bitten by mosquitos when we are camping. To be honest, it mostly never occurs to me to worry about things that other people seem to worry about. This doesn't make me better or worse than other Moms, it's just the way that things have turned out. Some people seem surprised that I'm so relaxed for a first-time Mom but I firmly believe that Lily will be a more relaxed child if I'm a relaxed parent. Only time will tell if this theory will hold true but at this point, it all seems to be working out in our favour.

1 comment:

Cheryle said...

By the looks of all the places you guys have taken Lily, and all the interaction she gets and all the things that you are exposing her to, I'm thinking you are on your way to a super well adjusted child! Good for you & Scott for making such a great effort - sounds like you are very successful at integrating parenthood with the rest of your world!
Also, have you picked out her mountain bike yet??
Cheers!