Tuesday, December 16, 2008

People say the darndest things...

I've had some very interesting reactions from people when I tell them that I am pregnant.  First, a number of people (thankfully, no one close to me) were genuinely surprised when I told them that I was pregnant.  Really?  You were surprised that I'm pregnant?  I'm curious to know which part is a surprise - is it the fact that I'm 33 and most women try to have kids by the time that they are 35?  Or is it the fact that Scott and I have been married for 8 years and might be ready to move onto the next stage of our life?  Do tell, because I'm quite curious....

The other funny thing that people ask is whether or not this pregnancy was planned or was an accident.  Again, really?  Not that it is any of your business, but yes, it was completely planned. What would you say if I told you it was an accident?  Why do you even think that it's ok to ask such a question?  See above for more reasons why this is such a silly question.  

I know that I have said more than my fair share of stupid (and possibly hurtful) things in my life but I am endlessly fascinated by the silly things that others say.  I'm sure that I will hear all sorts of other odd questions as I go forward in this pregnancy and in my soon-to-be life as a parent but these two questions provide me with all sorts of amusement.  

No comments: