Monday, December 1, 2008

Names

I feel that it is quite a big responsibility to name a person. The person will have the name for his/her whole life - they may love it or they may hate it. Other people might make fun of it or they might end up with a horrible nickname. I want the name to be somewhat unique but not totally weird. Oh the pressure!

Scott and I have been throwing out different ideas for names since we found out that we were pregnant and have (mostly) settled on a name for a boy. Scott came up with the name when we were driving out to Whistler for the Thanksgiving long weekend. I had never thought of it as a name but I really like it. We don't have any ideas for a girl's name because Scott keeps boycotting all my suggestions. I plan to borrow a baby name book from the library to see if we can come up with something good for a girl.  

We have decided that we won't be sharing our first name selections until the baby is born. People will inevitably share their thoughts on the name and they might taint my view of the name. However, we are sharing the middle names - If we have a boy, his middle name will be Michael (Michael was Scott's cousin's name. They were incredibly close as children but sadly, Mike was killed in a car accident four years ago at Christmas time). If we have a daughter, she will have some type of floral middle name. Me, my sisters, my mom, and my grandmother all have some type of flower in our names. I plan to keep this tradition alive and will either use 'Lotus' (one of my two middle names, my mother's middle name, and my grandmother's name) or some other type of flower.

No comments: