Monday, December 1, 2008

The downside to pregnancy

All in all, I've been pretty lucky with this pregnancy - I haven't felt too sick and I was tired in the beginning but not anymore.  Also, I have a bad memory for negative side effects so I quickly forget the bad things about being pregnant (which, I suspect, will come in handy after the delivery). Anyways, probably the two worst side effects I experience are indigestion and headaches.  I don't really get heartburn (at least not yet) but my tummy gets all bloaty and burpy. I carry a bottle of Tums around with me and usually take a couple per day.  The worst thing that happens is the headaches.  I used to get numerous headaches as a child and teen but they have gotten much better since I've become an adult.  However, pregnancy has brought them back with a vengeance. I seem to go through spells - headaches for a few weeks, nothing for a few weeks, and then back to headaches.  Initially, I resisted taking pain meds because I didn't want to take anything that would harm the baby.  However, the pain often gets to be too much and the doctor says that it's fine to take Tylenol.  I've had to leave work early on a number of occasions (including today) so that I could go home, lie down, and put an ice pack on my head. These headaches usually last 1-2 days and are not fun.  I've super happy to be pregnant but this part kinda sucks.  

No comments: